Mar 28, 2012

March is Women's History Month

     Today has been a very interesting day. I went to the campus library at noon to await an unknown event. My curiosity began to arise as I watched students begin to congregate. I noticed that the lounge area seating seemed to be the focal point and the chairs were occupied by mostly females. After a sizable crowd developed, I pulled out my phone to shoot some video of the various conversations taking place. Moments later, a girl arose from her chair and stepped onto a lounge area table. She began to recite words of what sounded like a poet. An applause followed as she finished and took her seat. I did not recognize the words she spoke, but I suddenly realized what this event was about when a second young lady stepped onto the table and began to utter a few words. I did not instantly recognize it until the words, "and ain't I a woman?" were spoken. March is Women's History Month, and nothing to me best paints the power of a woman better than that speech by Sojourner Truth. The students who participated in the event did an outstanding job.

     Later in class, we discussed a video about the portrayal of women in the media. It seems that everywhere you look, from beer and shampoo commercials to music videos and news channels, the objectification of women is ever-present. It is a basic human trait for anyone, especially for women, to want to be desirable, but the notion that women bring this objectification upon themselves makes me angry. I must confess that I am fairly typical when it comes to being a man. I think that, of all God's creation, a woman is His finest handiwork, and yes, I like to look at them. However, I don't buy into the American stereotype of what beauty is, especially the idea that only thin is beautiful (Uh, Adele? Hello!). I certainly do not consider beauty to be the only quality of a woman.

     Before you call B.S. on me, let me explain. I have been very fortunate in that I have had some very strong, powerful women in my life. My great-aunt, Louise Copeland, was a church pastor who chose not to  marry, and dedicated her life to people. She endured the persecution and criticism of men who claimed she had no business standing behind a pulpit, and she did it with the gracefulness of a queen. My sister, while in college, became the first female president of student government in 25 years at Southeast Missouri State University. She also challenged a local hotel owner in Cartersville many years ago who put out an ad seeking help from male applicants only--she accepted the position. Of course, I must mention my mom. She is as humble and meek as anybody I know. She is scared to death of storms, but when "life" storms are inevitable, she becomes the superpower that remains strong when everybody else freaks out.

     I could mention many other women in my life who have displayed a true example of the strength and power that women hold. The trait that stands out most for me about all of these women is grace under pressure. They remain beautiful, inside and out, even as they struggle in what some say is a man's world. Many men need to gain a little more perspective concerning women. They are mothers. They are daughters. They are sisters. They are advocates. Most times, they are the true leaders behind the great stories of history in which men have taken the credit. Ain't that a woman?

2 comments:

  1. Some women have found that attractiveness gives them power over men, and I don't think it's necessarily wrong to use the advantage considering that up until the twentieth century women had very little control over their lives, depending on men for everything. Reading historical fiction, there are few novels that skip the 'roles of women' theme, and it's enlightening to learn how they managed, survived and thrived (even in fiction, based on fact). In any case, I am glad to live in the present time and place, but aware that even now in other countries, women are still abused and abased. Nice to see you taking notice of a celebration that doesn't include yourself--and that you're writing about Martin Luther. His adversary, Sir Thomas More, should be next ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree that women should use that advantage. Unfortunately, many young women lacking confidence don't know the power of the multiple layers of beauty and attraction that they possess. It disappoints me to see the number of women who buy into the idea that all men have the same view of what a beautiful woman is.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

back to top